The significance of consuming native, seasonal and wholesome meals has been highlighted fairly a bit within the latest previous. Recent, natural produce that’s hyper-locally sourced is claimed to be the very best wager to remain match and wholesome. In relation to winter too, there are many wonderful elements which can be out there throughout India. Be it peas, carrots, beetroot, cauliflower, radish, or the multitude of leafy greens – these meals do not simply style scrumptious however are extraordinarily useful for winters too. Even the standard saag, made all through Indian states, is a good way to benefit from the winter season. However what precisely is saag? And what are its numerous varieties and recipes? Here is all it’s essential to know in regards to the winter-special saag.
What Is Winter-Particular Saag: Are Saag And Palak The Similar?
Saag is likely one of the mostly made recipes within the winter season. However what precisely is that this winter-special ingredient? Saag is nothing however one other time period for a vegetable made with leafy greens which can be abundantly discovered within the winter season. Sometimes, the time period saag signifies that the leafy greens are boiled and pureed, after which an attention-grabbing tempering is added to it to raise the style and expertise.
Saag will not be the identical as palak, as saag is a broader class of leafy greens cooked in the course of the winter season. In the meantime, palak is the Hindi phrase for spinach and is encompassed inside the identical class of leafy inexperienced greens.
(Additionally Learn: Chilly Wave: 7 Heat And Nourishing Recipes To Beat Winter Chills)
Is Saag Wholesome For Us? | Well being Advantages Of Saag
We have all heard from our moms and grandmothers that leafy greens are extraordinarily useful for our well being. However what’s it that makes saag wholesome specifically? Listed below are some wonderful well being advantages of saag:
- Loaded With Antioxidants – Whichever saag chances are you’ll devour, it’s loaded with antioxidants equivalent to phytonutrients, flavonoids and polyphenols, in addition to Nutritional vitamins A, C and Okay. Minerals equivalent to iron, potassium and manganese are additionally discovered abundantly in saag. These cut back oxidative stress and injury from free radicals.
- Glorious for Winter Immunity – Because of the considerable Vitamin C content material in saag, it’s nice for immunity. You possibly can preserve chilly and cough at bay and forestall seasonal ailments in the course of the chilly climate with saag.
- Good For Digestion – Every kind of saag are loaded with a great amount of fibre. This will help ease bowel actions and preserve the digestion course of clean. It may additionally assist facilitate weight reduction.
What Are The Varieties Of Saag Are There In India? | Varieties Of Saag
For the reason that definition of saag is so expansive, there are various completely different sorts of saag to be present in India. Mainly, the leafy greens a part of any plant might be cooked and consumed as saag. Listed below are some kinds of saag that may be present in India:
- Sarson ka Saag (Mustard leaves)
- Bathua Saag (Lamb’s quarter leaves)
- Sahjan ka Saag (Drumstick leaves)
- Arbi ka Saag (Colocasia leaves)
- Palak Ka Saag (Spinach leaves)
- Haak Saag (Collard Greens)
- Gongura Saag (Roselle leaves)
- Soya Saag
- Channa Patta Saag (Chickpea leaves)
- Inexperienced and Crimson Chulai Ka Saag (Amaranth leaves)
- Kulpha Saag (Purslane leaves)
- Poi Saag (Malabar spinach leaves)
(Additionally Learn: This Winter-Particular Palak Ka Saag Recipe Will Make You Overlook All Else)
Get Cooking With Saag | 5 Finest Saag Recipes From India You Have To Strive
Apparently, saag might be consumed by itself or mixed with different elements to make some distinctive dishes. Makki ki Roti and Sarson ka Saag aside, there are tonnes of saag recipes on the market which can be absolutely value a style. We’ve got collated the 5 greatest saag recipes from India that you should strive at the very least as soon as.
1. Rooster Saagwala
Nutritious and engaging, this hen saagwala is made by combining hen items with a hearty spinach puree. The result’s a gravy that’s really gratifying, particularly within the winter season! Click on right here for the complete recipe.
2. Paneer Kofta Saagwala
Whereas kofta curries are often made with tomatoes and onions, how about giving it a inexperienced twist? This paneer kofta saagwala is certainly a chef-special preparation that may depart you shocked. Discover the complete recipe right here.
(Additionally Learn: 5 Well being Advantages Of Together with Vegetable Juice In Your Winter Weight loss plan)
3. Saag Gosht
The mixture of biting chilly winters with gosht is one thing all of us relish. Why not stage up the gosht with the addition of juicy spinach and sarson leaves? This fragrant curry pairs effectively with roti and rice. Click on right here for the complete recipe.
4. Saag Badi Nariya
Hailing from Orissa, this saag recipe is uncommon but scrumptious. On this recipe, cholai or amaranth saag leaves are cooked with crispy dal badis and an attention-grabbing addition of coconut as effectively. Discover this excellent recipe right here.
5. Aalan Ka Saag
If the same old saag will not be your factor, we extremely suggest attempting the Aalan ka Saag. It’s a healthful and fulfilling preparation that mixes spinach with besan and moong dal and ghee-based tempering. Belief us, you may be left licking your lips! Click on right here for the complete recipe.
Featured Video Of The Day
Bread Pizza Recipe | How To Make Bread Pizza